- I never, ever 'sugar the pill
- I'll always tell you as it is
- Anything within our Blogs are absolutely 100% truth based on experiences we've encountered
- Sometimes people find us 'too honest'
Police Puppy Walking Schemes
The Kennel Club recently commended the breed scheme at West Midlands Police, as they were accepted into the Kennel Club's Assured Breeder Scheme - a clear testament to the work Dave Raymond is doing.
|Litters born into the West Midlands Police Breed Scheme|
In essence, allowing the dog to grow up in a happy, carefree environment but most importantly an environment without any fears.
Devon & Cornwall Police Force
So there’s the Background information, now here comes the real ‘What It’s Like to Be A Puppy Walker’ information . . . .
The Trials & Tribulations of A Police Puppy Walker
|Puppies waiting for allocation|
|PD Ari - 15 weeks old|
It’s anything but, a pet.
Watch out Puppy about!
Easy - right???
Even for us now, before we get our new ‘project’ we have to plan things like our holidays, is the garden re-puppy proofed, is the house re-puppy proofed, what’s our work schedule like, who’s looking after the puppy on this particular day etc etc.
|A selection of things our very first puppy PD Pace did|
You can't leave ANYTHING unattended for even a second! I'd only had my PSP 2 days!!
The use of a crate is absolutely imperative for this, (check out our Blog here) but even so, you WILL have accidents. So be prepared to be mopping all kinds of things from your carpet, tiles or wooden floors.
Other Dogs in the House?
|Taylor's view point coming across|
|Taylor being bullied - again|
Trials & Tribulations
- Day 1 of bringing a pup home – he quite literally attacked his cage the very first time he was in it! In the process, he broke a tooth & one other was hanging out. We had a trip to the vets on day 1 – to remove the said tooth!
- We’ve had a WHOLE kitchen destroyed by one of our pups (as you saw above!) – you simply cannot take your eyes off them for a minute!
Garden completely destroyed
- Our garden has been completely turned into a mud bath. (we now ban our dogs from the grass!)
- We’ve had illnesses, injuries & really worrying periods of time with the dogs – just as you would with your own pet dog.
- Brand new ‘comfy’ dog beds have lasted literally minutes before being completely destroyed.
- One pup knocked our nephew over and then thought it was a great idea to ‘play’ with his hair! The same dog also learned to scale our garden fence. He broke pretty much every fence panel in our garden & was very often ‘found’ in the next door neighbour’s garden. In fact I could write a whole book about this pup and his antics – to say he was the most demanding & hard work would be an understatement! He was such a handful that Sarah, couldn’t take him out on her own.
- Have you had dogs before?
- Are you at home most of the day & are able to ensure the dog is not left for more than 4 hours?
- Are you patient, resilient & flexible?
- Are you able to take your puppy out to many different places, at different times of the day - light & dark?
- Are you prepared for your house & garden to be seriously affected by a puppy?
- Will your family life & family members (inc dogs/cats) allow you to have a dog without adversely affecting yours or their lives?
You'll see how much we do with our dogs & how much fun we have if you are following us on Twitter. We've had some great fun & love watching our dogs progress. We've decided to also keep a video diary of our training on YouTube too.
We've been really lucky that every single one of our pups has gone on to become fully fledged Police Dogs. The good far outweighs the bad!
You've Been Warned
Who to Contact
See the latest plea for puppy walker's from West Midlands Police